On 2:58 PM by NY Drs. Urgent Care
What are the signs? The skin is red and there’s pain in the area of the burn.
When your skin is exposed to the sun for a period of time, eventually it burns, turning red and irritated.
Under the skin, things get a little more complicated. The sun gives off three wavelengths of ultraviolet light:
Under the surface, ultraviolet light can alter your DNA, prematurely aging your skin. Over time, DNA damage can contribute to skin cancers.
How soon a sunburn begins depends on:
- Your skin type
- The sun's intensity
- How long you're exposed to the sun
If a sunburn is severe seek medical advice. If you have caught too much sun, below is a natural remedy to treat it:
- The first priority is to cool the affected area. Standing under a cool shower for 10 minutes will provide pain relief and prevent the sunburn getting any worse.
- Dab cooled chamomile tea gently on affected areas.
- Apply the gel from the inside leaves of the aloe vera plant for a cooling and regenerative effect.
- Lavender oil can be applied directly to the skin (only a drop or two is needed) to provide healing from sunburn.
- Make sure you drink two liters of purified water daily - more if it is hotter than usual or if you are recovering from sunburn or sunstroke.
- Homeopathics are extremely useful for sunburn and can be found in most pharmacies. The number one remedy for sunburn is arnica, which can be taken both internally and applied externally to the burn for additional support.
- Limit further exposure to the sun. The skin requires time to heal and regenerate. Use a sunscreen daily.
The term "dysplasia" is used to describe abnormal changes in the cells found on the surface of the cervix. Dysplasia may oc...
What is emergency contraception? Emergency contraception, or emergency birth control, is used to help keep a woman from getting pregna...
If you don't already know, October is the month for Breast Cancer Awareness. It's an annual international health campaign organiz...
Most schools are back at it already. This means that the school athletes are back at work too and lots of injuries will soon happen: sprain...
College may be good for the mind, but it can be tough on your skin. Pizza, breadsticks, ice cream, heavy course loads, and a shift in ...
- ► 2014 (11)
- ▼ 2013 (40)